The Health Department has issued a warning against use of substandard gas-powered water heaters, saying that five people in Chiang Mai reportedly went unconscious in bathrooms without a proper ventilation system in December.
Dr Danai Theewanda, the department director-general, said people using gas-powered water heaters should make sure they meet the standards set by the Thai Industrial Standards Institute.
Every time they take a shower, they should turn on the ventilating fan.
In case the bathroom is not fitted with a ventilator, they should leave the door open.
If the bathroom is used by many people, one after another, its door should be left open for 10-15 minutes during the interval.
Special attention should be given to the elderly and people with chronic diseases such as heart ailment, hypertension and respiratory problems as well as to children if they spend an unusually long time in the bathroom.
Dr Danai said people who inhale gas while in the bathroom may become dizzy and develop breathing difficulties. They should be helped out of the bathroom immediately and brought to an open space.
If their hearts stop beating, they should be given a first-aid treatment. Helpers are advised to call 1669 for emergency medical service.