Police seek arrest warrants for 11 suspects in Big C car bomb attack

Pattani police have sought the provincial court’s warrants for the arrest of 11 suspects implicated in last week’s car bomb attack at Big C superstore which left about 60 shoppers injured and many properties, including several cars and motorcycles, damaged.

Pol Maj-Gen Piyawat Chalermsri, commander of Pattani provincial police, said Monday that inquiry police officers had already wrapped up the Big C bombing case and immediately sought arrest warrants for 11 suspects from the court.

Meanwhile, Big C management said that the store would partially reopen to business on Tuesday for sections which were spared the impacts of the powerful car bomb explosion.

The management said that damage to the premise itself was estimated at about 30 million baht.

Deputy Defence Minister Udomdej Seetabutr who was on an inspection tour in Pattani on Monday visited the store to give moral support to staff members in his capacity as a special representative of the government.

The former army chief later chaired a meeting with security agencies concerned at Somdet Phra Suriyothai barrack to discuss the unrest situation.

He said he had instructed officials concerned to solicit support from people of all walks of life in the Deep South in the effort to cope with violence because they have more access to information about the activity of the militants.