Police release video images of Siam Paragon bombers

Video images of two suspects believed responsible for the double bombings in front of Siam Paragon shopping mall Sunday night were released today with the police saying arrest warrants could be issued within the next three days.

The two bomb explosions in from of Siam Paragon and Siam sky train station  captured by  a CCTV video camera showed the  first explosion occurred near a sky train ticket booth where several commuters were queuing up to buy tickets. Shortly after the first explosion, all ran in panic. In this explosion, two were slightly injured.

The second explosion happened 30 seconds later.

Another video footage also showed two suspects sitting in front of the BMA Express Service booth at Siam station before.

One was seen with an orange bag at the BMA service booth. Moment later another suspect  split to place another bag at the sign board of Siam Paragon, about six meters from the express service booth where transformer was installed to supply power to the sign board light.

Shortly after they placed the plastic bags, and left, the first bomb exploded, and another 30 seconds later.

Today the metropolitan commissioner called a meeting of the investigation team to assess the latest finding and look through the video image of the two suspects to compare with the suspects which they had in the police criminal files as well as  those suspects in bombings during the anti-government protests last year.

Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner Pol Gen Jaktip Chaichinda said the two suspects used pipe bombs which were similar to the pipe bombs which the police had seized from a house in Minburi district of Bangkok in March last year.

In the Minburi incident, two persons were killed in a bomb explosion, possibly accidentally while mishandling the bombs they were believed to mean for anti-government protesters.

After the bomb explosion in Minburi, police inspected the rented house at the scene and discovered a cache of home-made bombs, among them were pipe bombs.

With the use of pipe bombs which were almost similar to the Minburi bombing incident,  the deputy commissioner said that the police investigators would now focus on suspects and those involved in the bomb explosion in Minburi district which killed two persons.

He said the pipe bombs used at Siam Paragon used the same igniting method as the pipe bomb found last year in Minburi.

Besides the size and length of pipe bombs in both incident were same. It was  made with metal pipe of 10 centimetres in diameter, and 20 centimetres in length and contained low pressure explosive and 2-3 inch nails.

Meanwhile Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Lt-Gen Prawuthi Thavornsiri said that the police would seek permission from the Criminal Court to issue warrants for the arrest of the two suspects within the next few days.

Police investigators believed that the bombings in Bangkok  on Sunday was politically motivated with intent to disturb peace and destroy the tourism atmosphere of the country.

He said the police investigators were scanning more video footages of CCTV cameras in broader areas to gather as much as possible evidence to link the suspects to other conspirators and was also asking for cooperation from the public to give information if they have come across the suspects or suspicious objects.

They can call the police at 199 or 1599 around the clock, he said.