Philippine army on full alert for possible communists’ attacks

The Philippine army went on full alert for possible attacks by communist rebels as the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) celebrated its 49th founding anniversary, The Manila Times Online reported on Wednesday (Dec 27).

Spokesman of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Colonel Edgard Arevalo said that the celebration of the CPP’s anniversary was usually accompanied by armed attacks of government forces by its armed wing, the New People’s Army which he described as the “true colour of the CPP and NPA” as a criminal organization despite their unilateral ceasefire declaration.

In a statement posted on the group’s website last week, NPA spokesman Jorge “Ka Oris” Madlos said all NPA units would observe a ceasefire from 6 pm on Dec 23 to 6 pm Dec 26 and from 6 pm on Dec 30 to 6 pm Jan 2.

The government also declared its unilateral ceasefire during the festive Christmas holidays.

Arevalo also called upon the Left to take a good look at their respective organizations, reflect deeply, return to the fold of the law and become productive citizens.

He, however, reiterated the AFP’s stance to abide by the government’s suspension of military operations during the ceasefire period.