A midnight fire gutted a light bulb factory inside Bang Poo industrial estate in Samut Prakan’s Muang district early on Wednesday morning (Feb 14), causing damage estimated initially at 10 million baht.
Police said the fire occurred at the 2-storey factory building of Lightech Electronic (Thailand) Co Ltd located on a 5-rai compound on Soi Nikom Bang Poo 8 in Tambon Praekkasa at 12.30am and raged fiery.
As 15 fire engines arrived at the scene, they could not enter the factory compound because an electric gate did not open after the electricity was cut off.
Finally, a factory worker decided to ram open the gate with a forklift enabling the fire engines to enter the compound.
Initial investigation found the fire started from the ground floor where the light bulbs for automobiles were stored before being exported.
Firemen spent more than an hour to contain the fire in limited area. No one was injured.
The fire caused several cracks on the factory building.
Forensic police inspected the scene this morning while local authorities checked the safety of the building and sealed it off pending inspection.
According to a factory guard, smoke was seen first coming from a pile of cardboard packages.
He then alerted the factory owner to call firefighters.
Police said they suspected an electrical short circuit might be the cause.