Embattled Mae Hong Son governor Suebsak Iamvijarn will be reinstated in the next two weeks after he was cleared of the allegation that he bought sex from students in the northern province.
Interior permanent secretary Krisda Boonrach told a press conference on Friday the probe team, headed by deputy permanent secretary Prayoon Rattanaseni, had cleared Mr Suebsak of the allegation that he had sex with underaged students.
He said the probe team spent 30 days to investigate the case, questioned 29 witnesses and people concerned.
Regarding the allegation that Mr Suebsak was in Mae Hong Son during September 22-23 last year and had sex with an underaged student, Krisda said the governor presented evidence confirming that he was in Bangkok attending a training course.
Further checks of domestic flights from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son during the period did not show the name of Mr Suebsak as a passenger, said Mr Krisda.
Regarding the allegation that a girl was arranged to entertain Mr Suebsak at a reception ceremony held at a resort in Mae Hong Son on October 1 last year, findings showed that the reception ceremony was held at a school and no alcohol was served.
Also, two girls who were said to have sex with the governor denied they had any relationship with him, said Krisda.
Mr Suebsak who is currently helping work at the Interior Minstry during the probe will return to Mae Hong Son in two weeks’ time to assure his governorship, said the permanent secretary.