King sends wreath to ranger volunteer killed in Narathiwat ambush

His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn and members of the Royal Family today (Dec 27)  presented wreaths for a ranger volunteer killed in an ambush on Dec 26.

Ranger volunteer Kamjorn Tanma of the Ranger Company 4912 was shot dead when a group of gunmen opened fire at a pick up truck he was travelling on in Sri Sakhon district of Narathiwat province.

Royal wreaths from HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, HRH Princess Soamsawali, HRH Princess Bajarakitiyabha and other members of the Royal Family were also placed in honour of the ranger.

Lt-Gen Kuakoon Innachak, deputy director of the forward command of the Internal Security Operations Command, presided over the bathing rite after which the coffin carrying the body of the ranger was flown by an Air Force’s C130 transport plane to his hometown in Chiang Mai where funeral ceremony will be held at Wat Ban Pang in Chaiprakarn district.

Meanwhile, the provincial courts of Yala and Pattani  on Tuesday (Dec 26) issued warrants for the arrest of 31 suspects in various violence attacks in the restive South, including four suspects in the arson attack on Betong-Bangkok in Yala’s Bannang Sata district on Dec 17.

The arrest warrants from the two courts were sought by Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner and Pol Gen Srivara Ransibhramanakul as he went to the Deep South to inspect unrest situation following a spate of bombings, ambushes, arson attacks, and car tyres burning in three southern provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat yesterday that left a ranger killed.

Wreckage of Siam Travel Company’s bus that was burnt down in Yala’s Bannang Sata district on Dec 17.

The Siam Travel Company’s bus left Betong district for destination in Bangkok was stopped by 10 armed men at Ban Kasod as it was travelling on Highway 410 on Dec 17.

The assailants chased away all the passengers and set fire on the bus. All the passengers, the bus driver and the bus conductor were unharmed.

Pol Gen Srivara said there were about 30 militants involved in the Dec 17 incident, but police managed to obtain arrest warrants for four of them at this stage.

The four suspects are on the police’s criminal records, he said.