Duterte says he won’t stop authorities to investigate his son and son-in-law

President Rodrigo Duterte made it clear that he would not stop authorities to investigate or to put in prison his son Paolo and son-in-law Manases Caripo if they were really involved in illegal drug trade, The Manila Times Online reported on Thursday.

“I leave it to the independent agencies such as the (Commission on) Human Rights, which is making all the noise, and the NBI (National Bureau of Investigation). If they are really guilty, then so be it. I have told you the same thing when I was still (Davao) mayor,” said Duterte.

Paolo and Caripo, husband of Duterte’s daughter Sara who is Davao city mayor, were accused of facilitating the shipment of P6.4 billion worth of illegal drug in May.

Duterte, however, defended Paolo, saying he had been involved in importations through the clothing business of his wife’s family.

Senator Antonio Trillanes 4th has accused Paolo of being behind the smuggling of the drug in question during a Senate inquiry. He dared Paolo to show his back tattoo which would supposedly prove that Paolo was a member of a Chinese drug syndicate.
But Paolo refused to show his tattoo, invoking his right to privacy.