Chiang Mai Night Safari’s white tiger dies of suspected blood poisoning

  • Test
A white tiger has died of suspected blood poisoning at Chiang Mai Night Safari, said Mr Saravuth Srisakul, director of the zoo, on Tuesday.

Accopanied by a veterinarian , Mr Raksiri Nomsiri, Mr Sarawuth told the media that there was bleeding from the lung of the 12-year old Por Petch after an autopsy and it was suspected that the white tiger suffered from blood poisoning.

However, he said that he was waiting for the result of blood tests from a laboratory to determine the exact cause of the death which would come out in the next 7-10 days.

Por Petch was the first white tiger presented to Chiang Mai Night Safari from Zoological Organstion or Khao Din Zoo in Bangkok 11 years ago. It has so far given birth to 13 cubs.

As for the dead tiger, he said that the animal would be stuffed and kept at the zoo.

Mr Raksiri, meanwhile, said that the tiger did not show any sign of sickness until it suddenly collapsed to its death from lung bleeding. He disclosed that white tiger normally lives up to about ten years because of its defective gene compared to ordinary tigers which live up to 20 years.