M’sian armed forces not involved in Saudi-led campaign in Yemen: Defence Minister

  • Test
Malaysia's Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein reiterated on Monday that there had been no involvement by the Malaysian armed forces in any Saudi-led military campaign against insurgency in Yemen as reported on social media, New Straits Times reported.

Hishammuddin said 20 countries including Malaysia is currently undergoing the ‘Thunder of The North” training which begins from Monday until March 4 in the Haafr Al Batin training area located in northern Saudi Arabia.

He said the Malaysian armed forces were invited by Saudi Arabia to join the training in order to gain experience in military operations which is different from the current training in the country.

“This is the first time that our soldiers are involved in this training at the area and as such, it definitely will provide experience and benefit them in future,” he said.

Hishammuddin stressed that the training was carried out in northern Saudi Arabia and Yemen was located at the southern Saudi Arabia border.