Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte broke the sad news to relatives of the 37 victims who were mostly workers of BPO firm SSI at around 2.30 am Sunday.
The president broke into tears when visited the families of victims trapped in the mall on Saturday
“Let us pray for them,” said Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, who accompanied his father and sister, Mayor Sara Duterte Carpio.
The blaze started at the four-storey NCCC Mall on Saturday morning and people were trapped inside, including in a call centre on the top floor. The fire was still going before dawn on Sunday morning.
Ralph Canoy, a police officer in the district told AFP that the fire started on the third floor which houses products like fabrics, wooden furniture and plastic ware, so the fire quickly spread.
He said some of those killed had been trapped in the call centre which operated 24 hours and they were not immediately notice the fire spreading.