He said it was not necessary that the information provided would actually lead to the arrest of the perpetrator or perpetrators because local authorities might already have some information about it.
The deputy police chief insisted that no bomb suspects have now been held in police custody although some individuals had been invited for questioning and eventually released. However, he said that some individuals had been invited by the military for questioning in accordance with the special law.
So far, only one suspected arsonist has been arrested after the Chiang Mai provincial court issued a warrant for his arrest under suspicion that he was involved in the arson attack at Tesco Lotus department store in Nakhon Si Thammarat, said Pol Gen Pongsapat Pongsathorn, adding that Pol Lt-Gen Tesa Siriwatho, commissioner of 8th regional police bureau, personally questioned the suspect on Sunday.
He said that both Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha and Deputy Prime Minister for Security Affairs Prawit Wongsuwan did not push the police to quickly wrap up all the bombing and arson cases but simply told the police to strictly follow the law in handling the cases.
He said that all the incidents which took place during August 11-13 in seven southern provinces were inter-connected and were perpetrated by an organized movement under the command of an individual whom he declined to identify.
Pol Gen Pongsapat said it was too early to assume the motive or motives of the incidents or to rule out the possibility that the bombing attacks might be perpetrated by southern militants.